Pages

Recent Posts

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Divergent

On Wednesday I spent the day at the hospital with my grandma. She called me in the morning and asked me to drive her to the ER so off I went to Ferndale to pick my grandparents up and drove them to the hospital. We sat around and waited, ate a realllly good lunch, waited some more, changed rooms again, etc....This might make me crazy but I really don't mind going to the hospital, so if you ever need a ride and someone to wait around let me know! I find hospitals so intriguing. I make up stories about the patients/nurses/doctors in my mind and try to imagine what their lives are like..weird? Yes. Oh well. This has nothing to do with this blog but it happened to be Wednesday that THIS book came from the library:
 if only it had been there six hours before so I could have been reading it while waiting. I digress.
This was one of those books that I literally could not put down. I carried it around with me everywhere. When I couldn't sleep at work (up at 1:30 ugh), I got it out and started reading it, while I blow dried my hair in the morning, I read it, while I ate lunch, I read it....you get the idea. There was something so interesting about this book, the choices that the main Character (Beatrice) Tris has to make had me on edge the entire book. It's kind of intense. It reminded me of the Hunger Games series in a way, but I didn't find it as intense, although it had it's parts. It's teen fiction so it's fairly easy to read and I ended up finishing it in about 24 hours. I would highly recommend this book, the next book comes out in May. I think there will be three books total.

Am I the only one who gets extremely bummed when a book series end?! I get so engrossed and I have the 'movie' playing in my mind and when it's over, it's so so sad. Maybe that's just me?!

The main plot of this book is the choice the 16 year old's have to make. Their world has five Factions. Five ways of life. At age 16 is when they chose what faction they will live in for the rest of their lives. There are those who live factionless but that is worse than death to most. These are the factions:


ABNEGATION: 1. to refuse or deny oneself (some rights, conveniences, etc.); reject; renounce.
2. to relinquish; give up

The people in Abnegation never think of themselves, they always think of others first, they don't even use mirrors because it's considered selfish. This is the faction the main character, Tris was born into, will she choose to stay with her family? Or not? Hmmmm read the book.


 AMITY: 1. friendship; peaceful harmony.
2. mutual understanding and a peaceful relationship, especially between nations; peace; accord.
3. cordiality

I took a faction test online and was told this would be my faction if I lived in the Divergent world. I would have said it's a toss up between this and Abnegation for myself.


 CANDOR: 1. the state or quality of being frank, open, and sincere in speech or expression; candidness.
2. freedom from bias; fairness; impartiality.

The Candor never lie. They see things in black and white, and only wear those two colors. They are honest never even telling a white lie.



 DAUNTLESS: fearless, undaunted.
Undaunted: courageously resolute, especially in the face of danger or difficulty; not discouraged.

The Dauntless are reckless in my opinion, they jump off buildings and trains. They are there to 'protect' the people. They should be brave and without fear.


 ERUDITE: characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly


The Erudite devote their lives to learning and knowledge. They are too smart for their own good.


So why is the book called Divergent? What if someone was a mix of two of these factions, would that be a good thing or a bad thing? Someone who is a mixture of two factions is called a Divergent, which is a very dangerous word and it should be kept secret.


Just read it. Seriously it is good.


What faction would you belong in? dun, dun, dun.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

This kind of reminds me of the Uglies, Pretties, and Specials by Scott Westerfeld.

Also teen fiction, so fairly quick. Not exactly the same, but it did remind me.

And I'm rambling. Out.

Amanda said...

Ya it reminds me of those books too, but for some reason the way they are sectioned off reminds me most of the Hunger Games. But same genre if you liked those books, you'd like this one!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...