Pages

Recent Posts

Thursday, April 28, 2011

DIY Bakers Twine

I've decided to take a break from this:




to make some of this:

I've been seeing this twine everywhere, and I've been coveting it like mad. I want it all in every color! The only problem is, I'm not a millionaire. I'm being dramatic but this stuff is not that cheap, I've been seeing it for 2-4$ a yard which to me seems a little steep especially when you want more than one color.
So while on pinterest a friend of mind had pinned a DIY tutorial on how to make your own twine so I clicked the link then watched the video, then slammed my palm into my forehead and said, DUH. So if you are interested in making your own twine on the cheap then here ya go!

You'll need crocheting string (or bakers twine), a ruler, masking tape, permanent markers

Wrap the masking tape all around the ruler so you don't stain it then start wrapping your string around and around, tightly making sure not to overlap the string. This is the tedious part but it's something to do while you watch a movie or something. I found that if I used a little piece of masking tape on the top loose string, I get a much tighter wrap I also used a small piece on the end piece to help it stay put as well.


Then using your permanent marker, draw lines diagonally (or straight, either way works) on both sides of the ruler. Press hard with your marker but don't make it too thick. My gray was a little on the thick side but that's ok. Also be sure to drink your V8 fruit fusion while sitting on the painters canvas on the floor of your bedroom, it helps...

Then unravel your string and repeat process as many times as you want. As you can see I did it 4 times. But I have like 8 more colors I want to use so...Obvs, if you want/need more than a couple yards for a large project, it might make more sense, time wise, to just buy a roll but for small little projects or for wrapping small gifts, this is perfect, plus you don't have to pay for shipping and handling! ;)

Well I should probably go take a shower, clean up my painting mess a little even though I'm STILL not done. Then go outside in the sun for the first time this week! Happy twining!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so glad you did this! The look great!

Kristin said...

P.S. I thought of you when I pinned that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...