Pages

Recent Posts

Sunday, August 11, 2013

12 Days

There is a wedding for a friend happening in 14 days. Guess who's 'in charge'? ME! haha I'm helping out the family by handling the reception/open house thing. I love this kind of thing so I was happy they asked :)
However....I'm a freak of nature that cannot be tamed. I am also ADHD. I am also a human tornado. I am also crazy. I always say this but I'll say it again, I don't know how to do a lot of things. I just try it out and if I'm able to learn something, great! If not, ehhh, I'll survive. I don't like directions though so as long as I'm able to do something without reading a manual of directions I'm good to go. 
Alas enter the 'cement mini planter project'.

Literally like a mad scientist. I coined a new word, scienticism. It means when you do something that has nothing to do with real science but it makes a big mess and looks crazy. You're welcome Webster.
So I went to the store yesterday and bought a freaking heavy bag of cement. The first one I grabbed was 80 dang pounds and last week I did something to my wrist so it's hard to do things with it. So that was super fun! 
Once I got home, I found a whole bunch of random containers to use as molds. I got plastic, metal, glass, cardboard stuff, etc...The most successful planters came from using an almond rocca container (the kind with the cardboard outside and metal bottom), and a small applesauce cup. Go figure. I recommend not using glass bottles, or those fancy 'crystal' throw away cups. No bueno.
The Tupperware worked well too.

6 out of 10 worked! 2 others were successful also but I accidentally cracked them with a hammer on purpose... (I haven't gotten around to evening out the tops yet and I'm still deciding if I want to white wash them or not)

 I'm hoping these can be used as small planters for the wedding favors, but I'll decide for sure in the next day or two. I want to get little succulent cuttings and plant them in there. I found similar favors on etsy but they were 10 for $40 or something ridiculous like that. I can make 40-50 of these planters for  less than 5 bucks- they really aren't 'hard' to make either. Then the succulent cuttings are about 70 cents plus soil I already have. So it's not too bad. Cheaper than the candy bar favor we did for Ty's :p.

Anyways. That was yesterday. Earlier this week I finished making these planter boxes for some larger succulents. They are just super simple wooden planters that I cut to size, nailed super quick and stained. They try to sell these planter boxes online for $10+ each too. Pssshhhh how about $1. Plus, when you make them yourself, you get to use power tools! And hammers that sometimes hammer your thumb and make you bleed profusely and remove 1/2 of your thumb nail.

I also got all the wood measured and cut for a cart that I'm going to try to make. It's tricky. Plus I don't have the right tools for a couple parts so I'm at a standstill. I just need a nail gun and a kreg jig come on!
 
This is part of that above project. They used to sell a rolling dessert cart at Anthropology which I'm hoping it will look like somewhat :)

Oy this is long and ridiculous. 
super quick though, some friends got sealed in the Vancouver, BC temple on Tuesday! It was such a neat experience, one of my favorite temple trips so far for sure. Plus the weather was wonderful! The grounds were looking really bright, colorful, and cheery as well.
  

And last but not least...
I became obsessed with this little 'show' on youtube called The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. It's a modern day twist on the Jane Austen book, Pride and Prejudice. The format is so different and something that hasn't been done before. It's 'Lizzie's' online vlog diary. Her friend helps her with it. It's mostly about her and her sisters and the other key characters from the book. 
There are 100 episodes plus there are little side-story split off videos occasionally from other characters. Each episode is about 3-6 minutes long so it's not like a huge time investment. It's just cute and not so crazy as other shows that are out there. I'm hoping the producers decide to do another 'season' because I would like that very much!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...