Pages

Recent Posts

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Free Two Day Shipping

I love Amazon. That is no secret around these parts. I order pretty much everything from there because it's so convenient, 95% of the time I get the item/s I need for cheaper than I would get it locally and I can get it for free in two days! It's made me spoiled and now I really dislike paying for shipping.

I've been reading lots of historical fiction lately, like a lot, and watching the same sort of movies/TV show (Downton Abbey). Watching/reading these stories makes me wonder how anything got accomplished back then! They had no email, no phones (well for the most part), and if you wanted to send a letter it would take weeks or longer to get to it's destination.

Now days we can obviously send emails instantly and if we want to send a letter it's 50 some odd cents and it can arrive in just a day or two. I love real cards/letters. There's nothing better than getting a real hand-written letter in the mail but it's rare these days.

This is a random blog geesh.

Anyways. Did you know in 1914 a mother mailed her baby across the state of Indiana for 17 cents and it was in a travel container labeled, "live baby"...17 cents wouldn't be enough to send a postcard now!
Also in 1914 a four year old girl was sent across the state for 53 cents (same price as shipping chickens) and she sat in the mail car with postage stamps on her coat. How I wish I could see that. In my mind I have a very clear image of it!


(In my little research on this I found that the US Postal service is the 3rd largest employer, the first is the US department of defense, and the second is Wal-Mart...what?!)

Well this post is sufficiently ridiculous. I'm wasting time waiting my dang laundry to dry (because my dryer takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to dry anything) and going to work. At least my clothes don't have to be hung dried outside! That happened this summer (thankfully in the summer!) and it was pretty unfortunate but we still had a working washer which was very fortunate.

We are lucky to receive those pesky emails and bills that make us pay for electricity and gas to heat our houses. Lucky to order items from the other side of the country and receive them just days later. I have a car that I just push a peddle down and it (can) moves at a very alarming speed AND it plays music AND sprays fluid on the windshield to clean it off! Whoa. I gotta stop reading these books because I keep getting too wrapped up in their world and I get these sudden hankerings to heat up bricks in the fireplace and put them at the foot of my bed for warmth.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...