Pages

Recent Posts

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tom

Meet my new friend/s 
I suppose they're not really friends yet because they're still on their way here but I have a feeling we WILL be good friends. I'm sure everyone has heard of this company called Toms. Their motto:

I'd say that's a pretty legit motto. In fact, I'm fairly certain that's why I bought them. I was looking for some comfy, light-weight shoes and I hope I found that in these.
This company is pretty cool and they aren't out to make a buck, they are here to make a difference. Too many companies are just too greedy and don't do good with all their wealth. I know people who barely get by and live month to month but they still donate what they can and volunteer in the community. Those are the types of people we need and this is the type of company we need more of.

Now in addition to shoes, they are now selling sunglasses and this is the deal behind them:
If you buy one pair of Toms glasses you provide site for one person, in whatever capacity they need it. Ummm hello? Genius. The glasses are a little more expensive but for what they provide I'd say they are a good investment. I can't wear regular sunglasses due to my far-sightedness but if I did, I'd prolly save up for a pair.

They have factories to make these products in Argentina, China and Ethiopia and this is what they say about them,
"We require that the factories operate under sound labor conditions, pay fair wages and follow local labor standards. A code of conduct is signed by all factories. Our production staff routinely visits these factories to make sure they are maintaining these working standards. We also have third parties audit the factories at least once a year to ensure they adhere to proper labor regulations."

Since 2006 when they started they have donated over 1,000,000 pairs of shoes and I'm sure that number is growing daily. This company was started by a guy who was on Amazing Race, while on the show he ended up in Argentina and afterward went back there on vacation, he noticed many kids didn't have shoes. He was wearing authentic style shoes that farmers had been wearing for a loooong time and he had the idea to start a company that donated a pair of shoes for every pair that was purchased.

Anyways you can google it if you want more info. I just thought it was a really cool idea and what a great way to help the world. If you buy a pair right now they have a $5 off coupon (google it) you can put towards your order. I'm excited to get mine!!

1 comments:

The Wilson Pratt Wilson Family said...

Are yours that gray color? Reagan has those! You guys can be twinsies. I love Toms. Cool that they do glasses now too. I got my glasses through Warby Parker, another cool company, but maybe not as cool. They donate a pair of glasses to someone in need as well and the glasses are only 90 bucks, prescription lenses included! Sweet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...